You're using an older, unsupported browser which may have an impact on how this site is rendered. Please consider updating your browser.

Click here for more information about this site's minimum requirements.

Homestead Exemption FAQs

Have a technical question? Click here to submit a ticket using our Helpdesk system!

Exemption Information and Requirements

For more information on exemptions and requirements, click here.

What is a residential homestead exemption?

A homestead exemption removes part of the value from the assessed value of your property and lowers your property taxes. The General Homestead Exemption is available to taxpayers who own and reside in the home as of January 1st of the year. In limited circumstances, property owners may be eligible to claim an exemption early, for a partial year, if the previous owner did not claim an exemption on the property in the same year.

What exemptions are available to homeowners?

There are various types of exemptions available:

  • General Residential Homestead
  • Age 65 or Older (commonly referred to as Over 65)
  • Over-55 Surviving Spouse of a Person Who Received an Over 65
  • Disabled Person
  • 100% Disabled Veteran's Homestead and Surviving Spouses
  • Service-Connected Disabled Veteran and Surviving Spouses (not limited to residence homestead)

Do all homes qualify for a homestead exemption?

No. Only a homeowner's principal residence qualifies. To qualify, a home must meet the definition of a residence homestead. The home's owner must be an individual (for example: not a corporation or other business entity) and occupy the home as his or her principal residence on January 1 of the tax year.

What qualifies as a homestead?

A homestead is a structure (including a condominium or a manufactured home) that is designed and occupied for use as a residence. A homestead can include up to 20 acres of land, if the land is owned by the homeowner and used for residential purposes.

Can I qualify for a homestead exemption if there are other owners other than my spouse listed on my property?

Yes. However, if you qualify for a homestead exemption and are not the sole owner of the property to which the homestead exemption applies, the exemption you receive is based on the interest you own. For example, if you own a 50 percent interest in a homestead, you will receive one-half, or $7,500, of a $15,000 homestead offered by a school district.

How do I apply for exemptions?

Exemption applications can be downloaded from here. Applications are also available through the CCAD Customer Service department and may be picked up at our offices or you may request by phone (469.742.9200) that one be mailed to you. Our offices are open Monday through Friday, from 8am to 4pm.

Applications may be submitted by the following methods:
- By Mail
- In-Person (Monday to Friday, between 8am and 4pm)
- Deposited into our Drop-Box (just outside our main entrance doors, available 24/7)

Emailed applications are not accepted!

Collin Central Appraisal District
250 Eldorado Pkwy
McKinney, TX 75069-8023

NOTE - Remember to include a copy of your Texas Driver License or State ID, plus any other required documents as per the application instructions. The address on your ID must match the property address.

When should I file an application for a homestead exemption?

For a general exemption you should file your exemption application between January 1 and April 30. Early applications will not be accepted. For Over 65 or Disabled Person Exemptions; if you turn 65, become totally disabled or purchase a property during this year, you can apply to activate the Over 65 Exemption or Disabled Person Exemption for this year. You have one year from the date you qualify to apply for the exemptions for the tax year you first qualified. For example; if you turn 65 during the year you have until your 66th birthday to apply to receive the exemption for the tax year in which you turned 65.

What if I miss the deadline for filing for a homestead exemption?

You may file for a homestead up to one year from the date the taxes became delinquent for that tax year.

Do I apply for homestead exemptions annually?

Only a one-time application is required, unless a re-application is requested by the chief appraiser. A new application is required when a property owner's residence homestead is changed.

If I temporarily move away, may I continue to receive the residence homestead exemption on my home?

If you temporarily move away from your home, you may continue to receive the exemption if:

  • You do not establish a homestead residence elsewhere.
  • You intend to return to the home and
  • You are away less than two (2) years.

If you are active in the military service and serving outside the United States or live in a facility providing services related to health, infirmity or aging, you may continue to receive the exemptions if you do not occupy the residence and you intend to return to it.

What is a Homestead Cap?

Cap value applies to residential homesteads only and it goes into effect the second year after a residential homestead exemption has been granted for your residence. If the property is your residence homestead, the appraised value may not exceed the sum of:

  • 10 percent of the appraised value of the property for the preceding tax year; plus
  • the appraised value of the property for the preceding year; plus
  • the market value of all new improvements to the property.

**For a more detailed summary and calculation example click here.**

Is it true that once I become 65 years of age, I will not have to pay any more taxes?

No, that is not necessarily true. The year you turn 65 you may receive the Over 65 Exemption in addition to the General Residential Homestead Exemption. The amount of the exemptions that are granted by each taxing entity is subtracted from the appraised value of your residence and the taxes are calculated on that "lower value".

Do both my spouse and I have to be over 65 years of age to qualify for the Over 65 Exemption?

No. Only one of you needs to be over 65 years of age to qualify for this exemption. Once this exemption is granted, if the qualifying spouse dies, then the exemption would remain in effect for the remaining spouse if the survivor is 55 years of age or older and has ownership in the home. All tax ceilings remain in effect for as long as the spouse lives in the home. The surviving spouse needs to contact the appraisal district office in order to continue receiving the exemption.

I am a disabled person. How do I qualify for a Disabled Person Exemption?

You are eligible for this exemption if you are unable to engage in gainful work because of a physical or mental disability or you are 55 years old and blind and are unable to engage in your previous work because of the blindness. To qualify, you must meet the Social Security definition for disabled. You qualify if you receive disability benefits under the Federal Old Age, Survivors and Disability Insurance Program administered by the Social Security Administration. Disability benefits from any other program do not automatically qualify you. To prove your eligibility, you may need to provide the appraisal district with information on disability ratings from the civil service, retirement programs, or from insurance documents, military records, or a doctor's statement.

Can I receive both the Over 65 Exemption and the Disabled Person Exemption?

No, you may not claim both exemptions in the same tax year.

What is the Over 65 or Disabled Person tax ceiling?

If you qualify for an Over 65 Exemption or a Disabled Person Exemption for school taxes, the school taxes on that home cannot increase as long as you own and live in that home. The tax ceiling is the amount the owner pays in the year that he or she qualified for whichever exemption was applied for. The school taxes on that home may go below the ceiling, but the school taxes will not be more than the amount of the ceiling. If the homeowner improves the home (other than normal repairs or maintenance), the tax ceiling is adjusted for the new additions. For example, if an owner adds on a garage or game room to the house, the tax ceiling will change.

Does the tax ceiling remain the same if the over 65 or disabled person homeowner moves to another home?

No. However, the property owner that is receiving the Over 65 Exemption or the Disabled Person Exemption may transfer the "percentage" of their tax ceiling to a different home in the same or another school district anywhere in the State of Texas. The ceiling on the new home would be calculated to give the homeowner the same percentage of tax paid as the ceiling on the original home. For example: If a homeowner currently has a tax ceiling of $100, but would pay $400 without the ceiling, the percentage of tax paid is 25 percent. If the homeowner moves to another home and the taxes on the new homestead would normally be $1,000 in the first year, the new tax ceiling would be $250 or 25 percent of $1,000.

I am a disabled veteran. Am I entitled to any property tax exemptions?

There are two different exemptions available to disabled veterans. There is a partial Disabled Veteran Exemption that is available if you are either a service connected disabled veteran who was disabled while serving with the U.S. armed forces, or the surviving spouse of a service-connected disabled veteran. You must be a Texas resident, must provide documentation from the Veteran's Administration reflecting the percentage of your service-connected disability, and your disability rating must be at least ten percent (10%). There is also a 100% Disabled Veteran Homestead Exemption you may qualify for on your resident homestead if you have a service-connected disability rating of 100% or individual unemployability from the Veteran’s Administration and you receive 100% disability compensation from the VA. If you qualify for this exemption, 100% of the value of your residence homestead will be exempted. You may apply for this exemption anytime during the year in which you qualify. The surviving spouse of a 100% Disabled Veteran Homestead Exemption may continue this exemption if the deceased veteran qualified for the exemption on the residence in the year they died.

What is the amount of the partial Disabled Veteran's Exemption?

The exemption amount that a qualified disabled veteran receives depends on the veteran's disability rating from the branch of the armed service:

Disability Rating Exemption Amount:

  • 10% to 29% = $5,000 from the property's value
  • 30% to 49% = $7,500 from the property's value
  • 50% to 69% = $10,000 from the property's value
  • 70% to 100% = $12,000 from the property's value

The disabled veteran must be a Texas resident and must choose one property to receive the exemption for all property tax purposes.

Is the disabled veteran's exemption the same as the disabled person's exemption?

No. To receive a disabled veteran exemption, you must either be a veteran who was disabled while serving with the U.S. armed forces or the surviving spouse or child (under 18 years of age and unmarried) of a disabled veteran or of a member of the armed forces who was killed while on active duty. In order to qualify for a disabled person exemption, you must be unable to engage in gainful work because of physical or mental disability or you are 55 years old and blind and can't engage in your previous work because of your blindness. If you receive disability benefits under the federal Old Age, Survivors and Disability Insurance Program administered by the Social Security Administration, you will qualify for the disabled person exemption.

Is there a fee associated with filing for an exemption?

There is never a fee involved in applying for an exemption with the appraisal district. This is a free service for all taxpayers.

What is "Homestead Cap Loss"?

Your residence homestead is protected from future appraisal value increase in excess of 10% per year from the date of the last appraisal plus the value of any new improvements.

Heirship Homestead Exemption

Have you inherited your home? How to lower your property taxes by qualifying for the full benefits of the homestead exemption in Texas. Click here to find out more.