You're using an older, unsupported browser which may have an impact on how this site is rendered. Please consider updating your browser.

Click here for more information about this site's minimum requirements.

Notice of Appraised Value – FAQs

Have a technical question? Click here to submit a ticket using our Helpdesk system!

Why did I receive a Notice of Appraised Value this year?

CCAD sends a Notice of Appraised Value to all property owners in Collin County every year, whether required by law or not.

What if I don't agree with the appraised value or have questions?

Your property value is important to us. We would like the opportunity to informally discuss any questions or concerns you may have about your notice of appraised value. There are two options you may want to take advantage of: Informal Review or Formal Protest. Please note an informal discussion/review does not reserve your rights to an Appraisal Review Board Hearing.

How do I request an Informal Review and ask questions regarding my property?

Collin Central Appraisal District
250 Eldorado Pkwy
McKinney, Texas 75069
Monday - Friday: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Thursdays during April 16th through May 15th: 8:00 AM to 7:00 PM
Note: First come, first served during this period. Typical wait time is 45 minutes & increases greatly the week prior to the protest deadline of May 15th.

What information should I bring when I come to speak informally with an appraiser?

  • Evidence of a hidden defect that you believe could affect the property's value. Evidence can be a photograph, repair estimates from a contractor or appraisal from an independent fee appraiser.
  • A copy of your property appraisal if one has been made on your property in the last 12 months. If you have financed your property, you are entitled to receive a copy of the appraisal from your lending institution.
  • Sales of properties that are similar to the subject property in size, age, location and type of construction. Use sales that have occurred closest to January 1st of the tax year in question.
  • Most value issues can be resolved by discussing them with one of the Collin Central Appraisal District staff appraisers.

What should I do if I do not want to meet with an appraiser informally or if I have already met with one and I do not agree with their decision?

You should file a formal written protest by the deadline, May 15.

How do I file a formal protest?

A protest form can be found here, but an official form is not necessary. A protest is sufficient if it is in writing and identifies the owner, the property that is the subject of the protest, and reason(s) for protest.

What happens once the district receives my formal protest?

Once a timely filed protest is received, the ARB assigns a case number and a hearing is scheduled. The ARB will give you at least 15 days’ notice of the date, time and location of your hearing. At least 14 days before the ARB hearing, the appraisal district must send you a copy of Property Taxpayer Remedies, ARB procedures, notice of your right to postponement and a statement regarding your right to inspect documentation and information.

What if the date and time I am assigned is not convenient for me?

On request made to the ARB before the date of the hearing, a property owner who has not designated an agent under Section 1.111 to represent the owner at the hearing is entitled to one postponement of the hearing to a later date without showing cause. You must request this postponement to the ARB before the scheduled time of the hearing. A written request can be submitted by email to . In addition, the ARB is required to postpone a hearing under Tax Code, Sections 41.45e-1, 41.45g, 41.66h, 41.66i, and 41.66k.

What if I still cannot make the hearing?

If you cannot appear in person,

  • You may authorize someone to appear on your behalf. Authorization must be filed at or before the ARB hearing. Failure to provide authorization at the time of the hearing may result in the dismissal of the case.
  • You may submit an Affidavit of Evidence.
    • The original sworn affidavit along with any supporting documents must be received by the ARB before the scheduled hearing date.
    • The affidavit must be signed under oath in front of a Notary Public or an officer authorized to administer oaths.
    • An Affidavit of Evidence form can be found here .
    • The ARB does not accept affidavits via fax or email.

What is the Appraisal Review Board?

An Appraisal Review Board (ARB) is a group of private citizens authorized to resolve disputes between taxpayers and the Appraisal District. ARB members are appointed by the Local Administrative Judge of Collin County for two-year terms. Although the Appraisal Review Board is funded by the Appraisal District, the ARB is a separate authoritative body. The ARB determines taxpayer protests and taxing unit challenges. The ARB also determines whether the Chief Appraiser has granted or denied exemptions and agricultural appraisals properly. The ARB's decisions are binding only for the year in question. The ARB meets throughout the year on a monthly basis to carry out supplemental duties. Most ARB meetings are open to the public. The ARB establishes its own Procedures and Rules that govern its operations based on the Texas Comptroller's Model Hearing Procedures. For cost saving purposes, the ARB typically meets at the Appraisal District office.

What happens in an Appraisal Review Board hearing?

A hearing before the ARB is conducted very much like a court case, although less formal. The ARB sets its own procedures based on guidelines from the State Comptroller’s Office. The ARB panel (typically, 3 members) will hear evidence from the property owner and the District. Each party will have approximately 5 minutes to present their case and evidence at the hearing. The entire hearing usually takes approximately 15 minutes and the property owner will know the ARB’s recommendation before they leave the hearing. An Order of Determination is sent via certified mail. For more information, review the ARB Hearing Procedures. A copy will also be included in your Notice of Protest hearing.

How are the Collin Appraisal Review Board members appointed?

ARB members are appointed by the Local Administrative Judge of Collin County for two-year terms.

What qualifications must an individual meet to serve on the ARB?

To qualify for service on the ARB, an individual must be a resident of the Appraisal District for at least two years prior to taking office. A person is ineligible to serve if the person is a member of the board of directors, an officer, or employee of the appraisal district, an employee of the comptroller, or a member of the governing body, officer or employee of a taxing unit. In a county with a population of more than 100,000, a person is ineligible to serve if the person is a former member of the board of directors, former officer, or former employee of the appraisal district; served as a member of the governing body or officer of a taxing unit for which the appraisal district appraises property, until the fourth anniversary of the date the person ceased being a member or officer; or a person who has appeared before the ARB for compensation during the two-year period preceding the date the person is appointed.

What is the deadline to file a protest?

A protest must be filed by May 15, or no later than 30 days from the date of the Notice of Appraised Value, whichever is later. However, if the protest deadline falls on a weekend or legal state or national holiday, the deadline is the next business day. It is very important to file your protest timely. If you mail your protest, please mail it to 250 Eldorado Pkwy, McKinney, TX 75069. It must bear a post office cancellation mark by midnight May 15. If you deliver your protest in person, you must have it in our office before the office closes on May 15. The doors are locked promptly at 5:00 P.M. The ARB does not accept protests by fax or email.

Can I cancel my hearing?

Yes. Prior to the ARB hearing, you may submit your request to withdraw in writing by mail, fax (469-742-9201), or email (). The request must be from the property owner and identify subject property and/or protest case number