You're using an older, unsupported browser which may have an impact on how this site is rendered. Please consider updating your browser.

Click here for more information about this site's minimum requirements.

2018 Press Releases

Change in Protest Filing Deadline for the 2018 Tax Year

The 2017 Texas Legislature, with the passage of HB 2228, changed the property tax protest filing deadline. The protest deadline was changed to May 15 or 30 days after the delivery of the Notice of Appraised Value, whichever is later. This legislation moved the statutory protest deadline up two weeks but the minimum protest period of 30 days is the same as the prior law. In Collin County appraisal notices to homeowners and all other categories of real property has been moved up two weeks.

Real Property:

In Collin County every taxable real property account will be mailed a Notice of Appraised Value. Real property notices are being mailed (delivered) on April 13, 2018. Therefore, the protest deadline for all real property, based on an April 13th mailing date, will be the May 15, 2018 statutory deadline. The deadline will be stated in each Notice of Appraised Value.

Business Personal Property (BPP):

In Collin County the Notices of Appraised Value for BPP will be split into two mailings. Mailings are scheduled for May 9, 2018 and June 1, 2018. Since every taxable BPP account will be mailed a Notice of Appraised Value, and the minimum protest period of 30 days is later than the May 15th statutory deadline, the protest deadline for a BPP account will be 30 days after the date we mail (deliver) the Notice of Appraised Value. The deadline will be stated in each Notice of Appraised Value.

Property Tax Protest and Appeal Procedures

Property owners have the right to protest actions concerning their property tax appraisals. You may follow these appeal procedures if you have a concern about:

  • the appraised (market) value of your property
  • the unequal value of your property compared with other properties
  • the inclusion of your property on the appraisal roll
  • any exemptions that may apply to you
  • the qualification for an agricultural or timber appraisal
  • the taxing units taxing your property
  • the property ownership
  • the change of use of land receiving special appraisal
  • failure of the chief appraiser or appraisal review board (ARB) to send a required notice
  • any action taken by the chief appraiser, county appraisal district (CAD) or ARB that applies to and adversely affects you.

Informal Review

An owner or his authorized agent is requested to contact the Appraisal District staff to discuss and hopefully resolve any concerns that the owner/agent might have regarding the appraised value, or any other item listed above. The owner/agent and an employee of the District will review the available information to determine if a mutual agreement can be reached.

Review by the ARB

If you cannot resolve your problem informally with the CAD, you file a notice of protest requesting to have your case heard by the ARB.

The ARB is an independent board of citizens that hears and determines protests regarding property appraisals or other concerns listed above. It has the power to order the CAD to make the necessary changes based on evidence heard during the ARB hearing.

If you file a written request for an ARB hearing (notice of protest) before the deadline, the ARB will set your case for a hearing and send you written notice of the time, date and place of the hearing. If necessary, you may request a hearing in the evening or on a Saturday. You may use Comptroller Form 50-132, Property Appraisal - Notice of Protest, to file your written request for an ARB hearing.

Prior to your hearing, you may ask to review the evidence the CAD plans to introduce at the hearing to establish any matter at issue. Before a hearing on a protest or immediately after the hearing begins, you or your agent and the CAD are required to provide each other with a copy of any materials (evidence) intended to be offered or sub- mitted to the ARB at the hearing. Evidence may be submitted for any hearing type either in paper or on a small portable electronic device (such as a CD, USB flash drive or thumb drive) which will be kept by the ARB. Do NOT bring evidence on a smart phone. The ARB’s hearing procedures regarding all the requirements to properly submit evidence on a small portable electronic device must be reviewed.

To the greatest extent practicable, the hearing will be informal. You or a designated agent may appear in person or you may by telephone conference call or submission of written affidavit to present your evidence, facts and argument. If you decide to participate by telephone conference call, you must provide your evidence to the ARB with a written affidavit before the ARB hearing begins. You may use Comptroller Form 50-283, Property Owner’s Affidavit of Evidence to the Appraisal Review Board, to submit evidence for your telephone conference call hearing or for hearing by affidavit.

You and the CAD representative have the opportunity to present evidence about your case. You may cross-examine the CAD representative. The ARB will make its decision based on the evidence presented by both parties. In most cases, the CAD has the burden of establishing the property’s value by a preponderance of the evidence presented.

In certain protests, the chief appraiser has the burden of proving the property’s value by clear and convincing evidence. You should review ARB hearing procedures to learn more about evidence and related matters.

You should not try to contact ARB members outside of the hearing. ARB members are required to sign an affidavit saying that they have not talked about your case before the ARB hears it.

Review by the District Court, an Arbitrator or SOAH

After it decides your case, the ARB must send you a copy of its order by certified mail. If you are not satisfied with the ARB’s decision, you have the right to appeal to district court. As an alternative to district court, you may appeal through binding arbitration or the State Office of Administrative Hearings (SOAH) if you meet the qualifying criteria.

If you choose to go to district court, you must start the process by filing a petition with the district court within 60 days of the date you receive the ARB’s order. If you chose to appeal through binding arbitration, you must file a request for binding arbitration with the CAD not later than the 45th day after you receive notice of the ARB order. If you chose to appeal to the SOAH, you must file an appeal with the CAD not later than the 30th day after you receive notice of the ARB’s order. Appeals to district court, binding arbitration or SOAH all require payment of certain fees or deposits.

Tax Payment

You must pay the amount of taxes due on the portion of the tax- able value not in dispute, the amount of taxes due on the property under the order from which the appeal is taken or the amount of taxes due in the previous year.

More Information

You can get more information by contacting your CAD, Collin Central Appraisal District, 250 Eldorado Pkwy., McKinney, TX 75069; metro 469-742-9200 or toll-free 866-467-1110. You can get Comptroller forms and additional information on how to prepare a protest from the Comptroller’s website at comptroller.

Deadline for Filing Protests with the ARB*

Usual Deadline

Not later than May 15 (or within 30 days after a notice of appraised value was mailed to you, whichever is later).

Late protests are allowed for good cause if you miss the usual dead- line. The ARB decides whether you have good cause. Late protests are not allowed after the ARB approves the appraisal records for the year.

Special Deadlines

For change of use (the CAD informed you that you are losing agricultural appraisal because you changed the use of your land), the deadline is not later than the 30th day after the notice of the determination was delivered to you.

For ARB changes (the ARB has informed you of a change that increases your tax liability and the change did not result from a protest you filed), the deadline is not later than the 30th day after the notice of the change was delivered to you.


If you believe the CAD or ARB should have sent you a notice and did not, you may file a protest until the day before taxes become delinquent (usually Feb. 1) or no later than the 125th day after the date you claim you received a tax bill from one or more of the taxing units that tax your property. The ARB decides whether it will hear your case based on evidence about whether a required notice was mailed to you.

* The deadline is postponed to the next business day if it falls on a weekend or legal, state or national holiday.

Updated Property Tax Information Now Available for Texas Taxpayers

New and updated property tax information has just been compiled by the Collin Central Appraisal District and is available now to assist taxpayers. This property tax information is current and covers a wide range of topics, such as taxpayer remedies, exemptions and appraisals, and has information for select groups, such as disabled veterans and persons who are age 65 or older.

‘Whether you are a homeowner, business owner, disabled veteran or a taxpayer, it's important you know your rights concerning the property tax laws,’ said Bo Daffin, Chief Appraiser of the Collin Central Appraisal District. ‘You can contact us about any property tax issues with full confidence that we will provide you the most complete, accurate and up-to-date available information to assist you.>’

This includes information about the following programs.

  • Property Tax Exemptions for Disabled Veterans — The law provides partial exemptions for any property owned by veterans who are disabled, surviving spouses and surviving children of deceased disabled veterans. This includes homesteads donated to disabled veterans by charitable organizations at no cost to the disabled veterans. The exemption amount is determined according to percentage of service-connected disability. The law also provides a 100% homestead exemption for 100% disabled veterans and their surviving spouses, and for surviving spouses of U.S. armed service members killed in action.
  • Property Tax Exemptions — Non-profit organizations that meet statutory requirements may seek property tax exemptions and must apply to their county appraisal district by a specific date. Businesses that receive tax abatements granted by taxing units; ship inventory out of Texas that may be eligible for the freeport exemption; store certain goods in transit in warehouses that are moved within 175 days; construct, install or acquire pollution control property; own and operate energy storage systems; or store offshore drilling equipment while not in use may also be eligible for statutory exemptions.
  • Rendering Taxable Property — If a business owns tangible personal property that is used to produce income, the business must file a rendition with its local county appraisal district by a specified date. Personal property includes inventory and equipment used by a business. Owners do not have to render exempt property such as church property or an agriculture producer's equipment used for farming.
  • Appraisal Notices — Normally, taxpayers receive a notice of appraised value from the appropriate local county appraisal district. The city, county, school districts and other local taxing units will use the appraisal district's value to set property taxes for the coming year.
  • Property Taxpayer Remedies — This Comptroller publication explains in detail how to protest a property appraisal, what issues the county appraisal review board (ARB) can consider and what to expect during a protest hearing. The publication also discusses the options of taking a taxpayer's case to district court, the State Office of Administrative Hearings or binding arbitration if the taxpayer is dissatisfied with the outcome of the ARB hearing.
  • Homestead Exemptions — A homestead is generally defined as the home and land used as the owner's principal residence on Jan. 1 of the tax year. A homestead exemption reduces the appraised value of the home and, as a result, lowers property taxes. Applications are submitted to the appropriate local county appraisal district.
  • Productivity Appraisal — Property owners who use land for timber land production, agricultural purposes or wildlife management can be granted property tax relief on their land. They may apply to their local county appraisal district for an agricultural appraisal which may result in a lower appraisal of the land based on how much the taxpayer produces, versus what the land would sell for in the open market.
  • Residence Homestead Tax Deferral — Texas homeowners may postpone paying the currently delinquent property taxes due on the appreciating value of their homes by filing a tax deferral affidavit at their local county appraisal district. This tax relief allows homeowners to pay the property taxes on 105% of the preceding year's appraised value of their homestead, plus the taxes on any new improvements to the homestead. The remaining taxes are postponed, but not cancelled, with interest accruing at 8% per year.
  • Property Tax Deferral for Persons Age 65 or Older or Disabled Homeowners — Texans who are age 65 or older or disabled, as defined by law, may postpone paying current and delinquent property taxes on their homes by signing a tax deferral affidavit. Once the affidavit is on file, taxes are deferred, but not cancelled, as long as the owner continues to own and live in the home. Interest continues to accrue on unpaid taxes. You may obtain a deferral affidavit at the appraisal district.
  • Notice of Availability of Electronic Communication — In appraisal districts located in counties with a population of more than 200,000 or that have authorized electronic communications, and that have implemented a system that allows such communications, chief appraisers and ARBs may communicate electronically through email or other media with property owners or their designated representatives. Written agreements are required for notices and other documents to be delivered electronically instead of mailing.
  • Protesting — Property owners who disagree with the appraisal district's appraisal of their property for local taxes or for any other action that adversely affects them may protest their property value to the appraisal district's ARB.

For more information about these programs, contact Collin Central Appraisal District at 250 Eldorado Parkway, McKinney, TX 75069. Information is also available on the Comptroller's Property Tax Assistance Division's website at: