You're using an older, unsupported browser which may have an impact on how this site is rendered. Please consider updating your browser.

Click here for more information about this site's minimum requirements.

Collin County Appraisal District Reminds Businesses To Render Their Taxable Property By April 16

If you own tangible personal property that is used to produce income, then a rendition must be filed with the Collin County Appraisal District by April 16, 2012.  A rendition is a report that lists all the taxable property you owned or controlled on January 1 of this year.  Property includes inventory and equipment used by a business.  Owners do not have to render exempt property, such as church property or an agriculture producer’s equipment used for farming.

"The appraisal district may use the information submitted in the rendition to set property values," said Bo Daffin, Chief Appraiser.  "If more than one appraisal district appraises a property, the property owner should render in each appraisal district office."

You can also file a report of decreased value to notify the district of significant depreciation of your property.  "For example, if your property was damage by a storm, flood or fire last year, you should file a report of decreased value.  The district will look at your property before assigning a value in 2012," said Daffin.

The last day to file a rendition or report of decreased value is April 16, 2012.  If a rendition is filed late, incomplete or not at all, a 10 to 50 percent penalty may be imposed.  Property owners who need more time to file their renditions may file a written request with the chief appraiser on or before April 16 to receive an automatic extension to May 15 or the next business day.  The chief appraiser may also grant an additional 15 days after the postponed deadline, if necessary.

For more information about rendering property, deadline extensions, penalties and rendition forms, taxpayers may contact the Collin County Appraisal District, 250 Eldorado Pkwy., McKinney, TX  75069, (469) 742-9200.  More information is also available from the Comptroller Property Tax Assistance Division at 1-800-252-9121 and press "2" to access the menu and then press "1" to contact the Information Services Team or visit the Comptroller's Web site at